Carpet flooring is a wonderful way to add warmth and comfort to a space. While carpet is not ideal for every room, the advancing technology of manufacturing carpet has truly come a long way. Because carpeting has been made to be a more durable and versatile choice of flooring, carpeting is a great choice for even more areas of both residential and commercial spaces.
What Are Carpet Tiles?
Carpet tiles have been an increasingly popular style of carpet installation in place of the traditional method of fitting carpet where large sheets of material are cut and installed wall-to-wall. Carpet tiles, also known as ‘carpet squares’ are simply individual tiles of carpeting that can be slotted together. This type of carpet was designed to provide an accessible, self-installation option.
In addition to how easy they are to install, the limitless designs, colors, and styles available make tile carpet an ideal choice when looking to spruce up a space. They are a premier choice for bedrooms, and other residential areas, but can also be versatile enough for commercial spaces such as school classrooms, offices, and industrial spaces. Carpet tiles come in an array of sizes and configurations offering top-notch versatility.
The Advantages of Carpet Tile
In additional to easy installation, here is a list of clear advantages and benefits of carpet tiles:
- Low-maintenance- they can be easily moved and rearranged or replaced as needed without needing to rip up an entire area of floor or replace an entire room of flooring.
- Durability- carpet tiles are engineered to withstand high foot traffic, which is why they are an ideal choice for industrial spaces, schools, and offices where there is a high rate of activity.
- Eco-friendly- much of modular carpet is made from sustainable materials such as recycled bottles or fishing nets. Additionally, there is less waste when using carpet squares over rolled carpet because there is less cutting and excess material during installation.
- Creative options- with modular carpet tile, you can easily mix and match styles, colors and patterns offering more ways to get creative and have a truly unique space.
- More Options for use- because of their durable nature, tile carpet can be used both indoors and outdoors.
- Cost effective- and of course we can’t forget about the all important question of budget. Carpet tile is very affordable from saving on costs associated with waste, extra material, installation costs, and time.
The Disadvantages of Carpet Tile
Most of the disadvantages of carpet tile come down to the modular format, some of the note-worthy disadvantages to consider include:
- Non-uniform appearance
- Loose fibers or fraying
- Perception of less luxury
Installing Carpet Tiles
One of the biggest advantages of carpet tiles is the easy DIY installation. By following a few clear steps, you can easily and efficiently install this flooring on your own without much fuss and without professional help. Not to mention, they are easily removed and replaced when needed without making a service call.
To properly install carpet tiles, start by knowing your subfloor. You’ll need a clean, hard surface to install the carpet squares. You cannot install tile carpet on top of existing carpet or soft sub flooring. Most carpet tiles have the option of peel-and-stick or adhesive tabs for installation, so in order to ensure they will adhere properly, it is best to leave the tiles in the room in which they are being installed overnight so they can acclimate to the temperature of the room.
Once all prepped with clean floors, temperature regulation, and after measuring the room, you’re ready to install in just a few easy-to-follow steps.
Should You Buy Carpet Tiles?
Ultimately the decision is up to you and what type of flooring you require and the overall goal for your space. Of course, factors such as time, budget, and use will come into play as well. Hopefully this guide has been helpful to gain some insight on how to best use carpet tiles and their benefits. You should use carpet tiles if:
- You want an eco-friendly, durable flooring material
- You’re installing in a high foot traffic, or space with high activity levels
- You’re doing DIY installation
- Looking for an affordable option
- Want something easy to clean and maintain
- Looking for a floor that will last (and is easy to replace in the event of damage)
- Want a truly unique look and creative freedom to create your own design by mixing and matching different styles
In sum, carpet tile can make a great option for many residential and commercial spaces. Flowers Flooring is your best option in the Carolinas for carpet tile products. Our wide range of styles to choose from ensures you’ll find everything you’re looking for, and our team of experts are on-hand to help guide you to making the best choice for your project. Contact Flowers Flooring for a free estimate.
About Flowers Flooring
Flowers Flooring is your family flooring specialists with two locations – Cornelius, NC and Winston-Salem, NC. Both locations service a 100-mile radius from the showroom. Both locations specialize in flooring sales and installation including carpet, laminate, hardwood, sand & finish, hardwood restoration, vinyl plank, vinyl tile, rubber flooring, tile floors, tile showers, tile backsplash, area rugs, interior painting and more. To reach the Cornelius, NC location please call (704) 445-7750 and to reach our Winston-Salem location, please call (336) 660-0977. Please be sure to inquire about our current promotion and financing offers.